Friday 4 February 2011

The fence goes up, just as the conversation gets started

When I walked through May park Wood last night with my dog, picking my way through the dog poo, condoms and discarded needles (that's a joke by the way, because some people say its a big problem and I think they exaggerate), I wondered if it might be my last visit to my favourite local retreat.  And so it has come to pass - the school delivered on its plan to fence local walkers out of May Park Wood today.
The timing appears spiteful to say the least - but tomorrow's public event in the wood will still take place, even though we may have to gather on Rosemary Green instead of meeting under the big tree in the wood as planned.
At the same time, a really interesting and civilised conversation has finally started on the blog, presumably prompted by the flyer which has been distributed lo ally this week. It involves parents from the school, residents adjacent to the wood and people like myself who have enjoyed walking in the wood. It's a shame we couldn't have had this conversation before the fence went up.
Many of us who walk in the wood believe the wood can be managed for shared use. We have been saying for some time to the school and local councillors that we would like to be given the chance to put forward our ideas and to explain what we have to offer in terms of muscle and expertise. I imagine I speak for them when I say that I feel that my views, my offers of help, my willingness to listen and debate - not to mention my feelings about the wood - have not been treated with respect.
But never mind! Whoever you are, please come tomorrow at 11. And bring an open mind, whatever your views about the closure.

No comments:

Post a Comment