Saturday 6 August 2011

An idea for shared use of the wood - comments please!

Some time ago I met the Chair of May Park School governors. He said the school would consider a proposal from the Friends Group for the public to share use of the wood with the school. But how would that work?

What do local people want? Different things of course, but there are common themes. people who have joined the Friends Group want open access to the wood. Many of them want to take their dogs. And everyone  wants to be sure that the wood will not be built on in the future.

What does the school want? A place where pupils can learn in the outdoors without dangers or distractions - no litter (especially drug and sex litter), no dog poo, no passers-by with scarey-looking dogs.

Now here's an idea:
  • A new gate is installed at the Rosemary Green end of the wood.
  • Part of the year the new gate and the existing gates at the other end of the wood are left open - school holidays plus parts of the autumn and winter terms when no school activities are taking place in the wood. 
  • At the end of each period the Friends Group cleans up the wood ready for school use.
  • The other parts of the year the gates are locked for school activities.
  • The Council designates the wood as a Local Nature Reserve, to give assurance to local people that the wood would not be built on. (Read about Local Nature Reserves here)
Post your comments below. Say what you think about this idea. Suggest an alternative. Please give your name (first name or pen name would do). Over to you...

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Local Nature Reserve idea seems very good, because it emphasises the educational and specific natural value of the Wood - the school should agree with this view. A joint arrangement to allow access to the public and the school seems fair, but it cedes authority to the school, who would presumably hold the key. If the school do indeed have such authority over the land it might be the best arrangement, but perhaps we need to discuss this? John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John
    The way it might work would be a little group with residents and school people to decide the dates for each year (maybe other things too like coppicing and events) and all be key holders. Obviously we'd need to discuss the detail more, but that would be a way of rebalancing the power?
    Anybody else got any thoughts at all? Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, the first comment from Majid Ali was one of those internet hoaxes asking for money. I won't remove your comment if you say something about the wood. Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love it if the council designated the area as a Nature Reserve - that would indicate to me that they seriously want to use the wood to benefit children now and in the future.
    I would enjoy helping the school and working in the wood.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Friends of May Park Wood and Rosemary Green
    It is with regret that I am no longer pursuing a public right of way across May Park Wood. The reason for this is there does not appear to be enough support, I am working full-time and do not have enough energy and I believe that if public right of way was granted the school would fence off a narrow path which is not what I wanted to achieve.
    I have collected some evidence questionnaires and have all of the necessary information for completing the application. If anyone would like to apply for right of way I am happy to provide the information to them. There is still time.
    I do feel incredibly sad about the loss of the use of the wood for the public as I recognise that so many local children and families will not be able to enjoy the woods that I enjoyed with my children and friends. I am concerned that the council states that it needs green spaces and "greenways" to parks and yet allows such an area to be blocked.
    However it is a long time since I believed that the council cares or works with the public at the heart of its planning.

    I hope to see friends of the May Park Wood and Rosemary Green at the next cleaning / clearing etc.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do the group still clean Rosemary Green? It is full of litter these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we cleaned it in May, but the recent winds blew in quite a lot and of course people are taking cans and so on to the green on the rare sunny days. I didn't post the litter pick on the blog because I didn't realise people still looked here - I will do next time. I'll organise another litter pick later on in the summer - I'm just trying to keep on top of it by picking things up when I walk the dog. I think others do that too. Why not do the same (take a plastic bag with you)? Dog poo is a different matter - grrr. Some people still aren't picking up and one idiot keeps bagging it up and leaving it on the edge of the green down by the cemetery. I would love to know who it is!

      Delete
  8. Thanks Andy. I always try and pick up bits as I go. I usually fill up a bag. I'll look out for the next litter pick.
    I too have seen that dog poo in bags!!!
    All the best

    ReplyDelete